Thursday, July 1, 2010

Timing and Fundamentals

Timing and fundamentals are everything. In order to get my golfball to fly as far as I want it to fly and in the direction I intend for it to go I have to apply correct fundamentals and their application has to occur at exactly right time. Therefore, my golfball rarely ends up on the green. Either my fundamentals are flawed or my timing is off. I am absolutely amazed how often I can stand facing the direction I had wanted my golfball to go, staring at the target I intended to land near and be unable to locate any relationship between my intentions, my ball and the target.

I have noble intentions for my life. I have a book of fundamentals and good examples of their application all around me. And, God's timing is perfect. And, yet, how often do I stand staring into space at where I had hoped to end up groping around for any relationship between my intentions, my actions and God's timing. God's word in inerrant. God's timing is perfect. Therefore, we know where the problem lies. Here's hoping I'm not in an unplayable lie.

Before he created the universe, God planned out every detail for all time. Think about that for just a second. Every little thing, and big thing, that happened in your life (and everyone else's) today was put on the agenda for today some time back before God spoke and created light. Sometimes we get behind schedule early in a meeting and that pushes everything on the agenda back. Imagine if God didn't get around to starting a meeting with Adam quite on time and everything after that was pushed back. You think you get upset now when God seems to show up late. But he doesn't. He never does. He's never early, either. Everything plays out when it was planned to play out.

His timing is perfect. He reveals his word to me at exactly the right time. Jesus is the word. Jesus spoke the word. The Holy Spirit speaks the word. I get exactly what I need from God exactly as I need it. All I have to do is apply it.

My fundamentals are flawed. That's why we have a book like Titus. Paul wrote it so our faith, knowledge and godly behavior would grow. As I study this, I hope my life flies straighter and farther than my golfball.

So, how's your ball flight?

No comments:

Post a Comment