Thursday, July 8, 2010

Can God Trust Me?

I am entrusting 2 of my kids to colleges. I have expectations of my children and of the schools. If I were to entrust you with my car I would expect you to use it for what it is intended and take better care of it then you do your own.

God entrusted Paul with preaching to reveal his Word in an appointed time. God certainly has expectations of his Word. And, he has clearly expressed expectations of Paul, too.

What about me? According to Acts 1:8 I have been given power for the purpose of being a witness of the Word. Understanding that the Word involves Jesus himself (John 1:1), creation through Armageddon and beyond, the written word, spoken word directly from the Holy Spirit, the life-changing message of the gospel, salvation and every essence of a personal relationship with God. The Word works. It gives life. Do I?

One of us (Jerry) offered the idea that the future of the church is dependent on us. True. Now, let's not overreact here. God does not need us. He could say the "Word" and the work would be done. But he chooses to use us to accomplish is plan. Thus, he has entrusted to us the work of spreading the Word.

There's a lot of this that I just didn't ask for. I didn't ask for the responsibility it was given to me. But, I didn't know to ask for all the benefits of the blessing, either. They were just given to me. How can accept the blessing and not the responsibility? It seems way too easy. I guess that's grace.

I am supposed to be a conduit for all of this. Psalm 67 says, basically, may God bless me so that the whole world knows and they will praise him, too. I am a conduit for the Word and the blessings that go with him. How am I doing? I appreciate my mom and my friends falling all over themselves to assure me I'm doing great (I'm sure they are right now as they read this!) But, what about those who aren't so close? Are they blessed with Life because I am a conduit for the Word?

I suppose what's true for me is also for most all of you reading this. As a body, we'll all demonstrate the Word to people in different ways. Some will speak it. Some will show it. Some will serve it with a lasagna or a freshly cut lawn.

At one point God seemed to think I was trustworthy. It seems he still does. I probably question myself more he does.

Can God trust you?

No comments:

Post a Comment