Thursday, July 29, 2010

Of Course We're Leaders; We're Men

We're men. We're leaders, right? Of course we're leaders. We're men.

I thought I'd start this post with a little poetry. What'd you think?

Me and the guys I've hung out with throughout my life have had numerous conversations on the topic of leadership. Discussing Paul and Titus prompted another pretty good discussion on the topic. There was Titus, having been sent by Paul, to do what Paul had done in other places.

So, am I really a leader? This is one of those questions that's easy to gloss over making huge assumptions while we move on to the 9th tee box. Okay guys, let's slow down for a minute or two.

Probably the most common answer I give to other guys as well as hear from them is, "Of course I'm a leader. I lead at home." Or, "Obviously, I'm a pastor." Really? Is it obvious?

Here's a better evaluative leadership question that God laid on me. Who's voluntarily doing what I am doing the way I'm doing it primarily because I do it that way?

I'm not talking about creating clones of myself or molding people into anyone's image other than Jesus. This is way simpler than that. I just know there are a number of characteristics in my life that the reason I do them the way I do them is because other men, Jesus-following guys, whom I respect, do them that way. I have put my own spin on these characteristics. But I do them because I've seen these guys do them and I wanted to build these characteristics into my life.

So, am I leading at home? Up until recently I was big enough to make my kids do what I wanted them to do. Now, not so much. They could hurt me, bad (even my daughter). I do have other motivators, but they're at the age when things go much better when they act voluntarily.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. They mow the way I mow. They drive the way I drive. They use a lot of the same words and gestures I use. And, if there's ever a good reason to temper the salty language that's it, isn't it?

But what about the really important stuff? Do they have quiet times the way I do it? Do they worship the way I worship? Do they walk with Jesus the way I walk with him? Do they treat their mother the way I treat her? Do my sons treat their girlfriends and sister the way I treat their mother? It doesn't take long to evaluate my kids' behavior to determine what kind of leader I am at home.

Are we leaders at church? Of course we are. We're all pastors, elders, group leaders, and ministry leaders. We have titles. And, we're men. So, what does having a title have to do with real leadership? There are lots of men who have titles and don't lead. There are lots of men (and women) who don't have titles and are amazing leaders.

At church, who is voluntarily doing what I do the way I do it primarily because I do it that way? Hmmmm. This won't take too long.

Maybe I should stop assuming that just because I'm a man, I have a family, I go to a church and have a title that I'm a leader. Maybe I need to honestly evaluate my life to determine if I exhibit any characteristics that any other guy would want to emulate in his own life?

I'm involved in a lot of stuff. My time gets gobbled up quickly. What environments am I in where I can pass on these characteristics? It's one thing to do good things and do them well. It's another thing to intend to pass them on to other guys.

I think every one of us wants to lead. I know we want to be seen as leaders. But no one will see us as a leader, and they certainly won't follow, unless we take a good look at ourselves first and figure out what these people see when they look at us.

So, men...are you a leader?

No comments:

Post a Comment