Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When Did We Start Saying 'No'?

What if we just said, 'no'? What if we all got together, collectively, and politely, but firmly told God, 'No, we aren't going to participate in your program anymore."

Beyond the extreme stupidity and foolishness, for arguement's sake, what if?

Would the Church stop growing and die? Would there be no conversions? Would church buildings built for thousands echo through the rafters as only hundreds sang? Would church buildings be sold so other businesses could occupy them like bars and such?

I would think the church would resemble a social club with noble social causes. A certain status would be attached to membership in that case. Appearances would be most important.

Of course, all the above is true and happening throughout the world to many churches. They are dying on the vine. It's not just limited to mainlines but it seems this is where it is happening most. And the church in Europe, where Western Christianity has it roots is fading fast.

These are churches. But, what about the Church? In Matthew 16:18 Jesus looked at Peter and said that he was going to build his Church and not even the gates of Hell would stop it. Yet, a large number of churches have been stopped.

If there's one message that comes from Genesis it's this, God program cannot be stopped. How many times did Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and the boys mess up astronomically? Yet, God always gave them the opportunity and eventually they returned.

And, while they were gone, it didn't mess God up or his program. The only lives and programs they managed to mess up, and they messed them up royally, were their own.

God's grace always allows us to return. We return on our knees. He welcomes us and restores us. What's most amazing to me is the blessings are restored, too. When we walk with God and live our lives in close fellowship the blessings of peace, contentment, fulfillment and assurance are rich and strong.

God richly rewards those who walk with him and serve faithfully. Why would we say, 'no'?

Well, what do you think? Why do we say 'no'? Churches are drying up. Too many American churches are dying. Auditoriums built for thousands now echo with the voices of hundreds. There are few conversions. The number of Americans who claim to be atheist or agnostic has quadrupled since 1990. On an average weekend in 2005 only 17% of Americans attended a Christian church service. That's down 20% since 1990. When young people are asked of their impression about Christianity and Christians the ratio of negative to positive impressions is more than 2:1.

So, when did we start saying 'no'?

I doubt anyone I know personally is foolish enough to look straight at God and voice their opposition. At the same time, I think I know a lot of people who, through their actions, passively, vote 'no'. And, I would begin with myself when I choose to pursue my own way. God, don't bother me right now I want a little 'me' time.

Titus 1 has words like bondslave, entrusted, command, grace and peace.

When God welcomes us back and restores us he re-commissions us. The closer I walk with him the greater blessing I receive. And, he'll take me where I can perform the tasks he commanded me to do. When I walk away on my own, I have this dilusion that I can find greater blessings. The only life I mess up is my own.

I see over and over, in the OT and NT, God is collecting for himself a group of people. He's using people to do the work on his behalf. Those who do the work are blessed beyond measure. He is going to succeed. Why do we say 'no'?

So the real question is, am I going participate or am I in pursuit of a little 'me' time?

No comments:

Post a Comment